Our Dominican villa rental: Q&A
How far is The White House from the beach? The White house is 2 to 3 minutes' walk from 3 private beaches.
Does the villa have air-conditioning? Yes, in 4 of the 5 bedrooms.
Is there a chef service at the villa? Yes, please see some menu suggestions for 2 and 3 courses. We are happy to discuss according to your requirements. We can also provide a breakfast chef on request.
Is there a phone in the house? No.
Is there internet and wifi in the villa? Yes, with wifi.
What type of TV channels are available? A wide selection of US, European and local channels are included on cable TV in the villa.
Is there babysitting available? Yes, this can be arranged.
Is the villa suitable for all ages? Yes, being on one level, the villa is suitable for all ages.
The CommunityWhat activities are available in Sea Horse Ranch? There are several:
- the tennis club is up near the main entrance, 10 mins' walk away, has several courts, a couple of which are floodlit in the evening. There is a tennis pro and ball boys.
- the equestian centre, also within Sea Horse Ranch, offers rides along the beach and through the countryside. Suitable for novices and experienced riders alike.
Which are the nearest airports? There are several:
- POP - Puerto Plata airport (15 mins' away) with flights from American Airlines, jetBlue and United from the USA; Westjet and Air Transat from Canada; several from Europe. To guests of the White House, we offer limited roundtrip local transportation free-of-charge with Cocotours.
- STI - Santiago airport (80 mins' drive) with flights from American Airlines, jetBlue, Delta and others.
- AZS - Samaná El Catey airport (2 hrs' away) with seasonal flights from jetBlue, Air Canada and others.
General StuffWhat are the nearest towns? Sosúa with its pretty horseshoe bay, shops and bars, is 5 minutes' drive to the west. Cabarete, originally a popular windsurf destination, has grown to include other watersports include kite-boarding, windsurfing, paddle-boarding and dinghy-sailing, and is only 10 minutes' drive along the coast to the east.
Where can I go grocery-shopping? The nearest supermarket Súper Pola (opening hours: Mon-Sat 7 am to 11 pm: Sun 9 am to 9 pm) is a 2-minute drive away. Head towards Sosúa, and it's on your right-hand side. The supermarket shares a car-park with Avis Car Hire, a pharmacy and a money-changer's. There are several ATM machines at Súper Pola. There is another supermarket called Playero at the main traffic lights in Sosúa, it's open daily from 8am to 8pm. Both are well stocked and will have everything you need.
What if we need a doctor? The nearest doctor and clinic are in Sosúa, only 5 minutes' drive away. Or you could ask the doctor to come visit. The contact details of an excellent family GP located in Sosúa are published in our house notes.
How do you suggest we get about? There are really two options: take cabs, or hire a car. Best car-hire option might be Avis, as they are close-by at the Super Pola supermarket, only 2 minutes away. Depending on how busy they are, they may be able to deliver the car to you at the villa.
What are the most interesting tours?
For a full selection of tours which Cocotours can offer and tailor-make for your group, please click here.
- 27 Waterfalls at Damajagua
- Monkey Jungle with zip-lining
- Puerto Plata city tour with cable car
- Whale-watching in Samana bay (mid-January to mid-March only)
Can we go rafting? Yes, we can offer you via our connection with Cocotours, one-day tours to go rafting in Jarabacoa in the Dominican Alps.
What currency should we bring? Credit and debit cards are widely accepted, and there are ATMs in nearby Sosúa and Cabarete. Dollars in cash are also accepted and can be changed upon arrival at the airport or nearby.